As a global entertainment and information leader across broadcast, content and digital, RTL Group is well positioned to support a wide range of good causes and raise money for charities. Moreover our foundations and activities are often directly involved in the charities’ operations. Our aim is to help raise awareness of important challenges around the world particularly those that might otherwise go unreported or under-funded.
Actor Jo Weil on the phone for the good cause © MG RTL D/Frank W. Hempel
Here we offer just a few examples of these:
Our big events:
- RTL-Spendenmarathon: The RTL-Spendenmarathon is one of the programme highlights at the end of each year with more than 24 hours of special broadcast, where famous personalities and sponsors raise funds for the foundation ‘RTL – Wir helfen Kindern’ (We Help Children) and the implementation of several projects worldwide (such as the construction of 14 children houses in Germany). In 2017, the RTL-Spendenmarathon raised over €9 million and since its first broadcast in 1996, RTL Television viewers and partner companies have donated more than €161 million.
- Télévie fundraising event: Télévie was created to raise funds to finance research into cancer and leukaemia, both in children and adults. Télévie has been active in Belgium since 1989 and in Luxembourg since 2002. It finances more than a hundred research projects every year. In 2018, Télévie set a new record of €12,114,560 raised for research; since its establishment, it has collected more than €185 million.
In 2018, Télévie set a new record with over 12 million euros raised © Fred Guerdin/RTL Belgium
- Germany: RTL Television has supported children in need for more than 20 years through its foundation ‘RTL – Wir helfen Kindern’ (We Help Children)
- France: As a long-standing partner of the Restos du coeur – an association which has come to the aid of the most destitute in France and Belgium since 1985 – RTL Radio broadcasts the ‘Enfoirés’ concert every year and also contributes by selling the CD, as for each one sold, more than 15 meals are distributed. Moreover, Fondation M6 assumes its social responsibility by focusing on the general public – the channel’s traditional public – and with the prison population through audiovisual support initiatives offered to prisoners as well as rehabilitation projects introduced by the Justice Department.
- Croatia: In December 2006, RTL Televizija and the newspaper Vecernji list founded the foundation RTL pomaže djeci (RTL Helps Children). Its aim is to support organisations running projects for children in Croatia. So far, it has invested over €2 million for 202 projects with more than half a million children direct beneficiaries.
- Spain: Fundación Atresmedia aims to improve living conditions for children in need all around the world. It was created by Atresmedia in Spain, in 2005, and has since supported thousands of projects, studies and conferences.